ED Patient Access Representative
Job posting number: #7092615 (Ref:22157746032)
Posted: January 21, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Patient Access Representative – Emergency Services conducts the registration activities of the Emergency Department, and provides customer service through all phases of the registration processes.
- Interviews patients to gather demographic and financial data; establishes a patient record and medical record number if necessary.
- Analyzes patient’s financial responsibilities and attempts to collect at the time of service.
- Accurately screens all applicable Medicare tests for complete orders and screening the diagnosis for medical necessity.
- Completes an Advanced Beneficiary notice for failed tests and explains the financial responsibility to the patient.
- Reviews Medicare Secondary Payer queries to determine payer for Medicare and Medicare HMO patients.
- Advises patients and physicians office personnel of required preparation and instructions for scheduled procedures; provides appropriate forms to billing and other departments.
- Order entry of all outpatient lab/radiology and any outpatient testing required.
- This is a Full Time position 72 hrs/pay (36 per week) Shift hours 7pm - 7:30am Work every other Weekend and Every other Holiday~
- Provides information relative to Advanced Beneficiary Notices, Patient Rights, and benefit assignment.
- Processes registration and pre-registrations on all patient types utilizing the patient identifiers.
- Obtains necessary signatures from patients or guardians authorizing treatment.
- Determines/requests/collects self-pay balances due and/or completes appropriate financial forms when patients are unable to meet the requirements.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of compliance issues and Medicare medical necessity.
- Responsible for analysis of physician written order: ensures order is complete and legible, completes medical necessity checking on all physician’s orders, communicates with physician and patients regarding written order whenever necessary.
- Accurately assembles, maintains, and distributes patient’s charts to appropriate department.
- Maintains department records, reports, and files as required.
- Contacts physician offices for diagnosis if necessary. Contacts physician offices/insurance companies for benefits/authorizations and documents outcome in the system.
- Processes faxed patient order according to established guidelines.
- Maintains operating system schedule.
- Schedules testing and referred outpatients to the appropriate site, utilizing established criteria.
- Responsible for maintaining cash drawer and completing the deposit at the end of the workday.
- Prolonged periods of standing and walking.
- Lifting, pushing, and pulling up to 20lbs.
Educational, Licensure, & Experience Requirements
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Meditech experience preferred
- Passport experience preferred.
- Medical clerical certificate preferred.
- 2 years of experience in a healthcare/medical office environment preferred.
- Successful completion of medical terminology test required.
- Must type at least 30 WPM.
Keywords: Patient Service Specialist, PSR, Patient Service Representative, Customer Service, PSS, Patient Registration, Appointment Schedule, Insurance Processing, Entry Level, Customer Service Representative, Patient Access Specialist, PAS, PAR, Billing Specialist, Call Center, Customer Support, Red Coat
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.