Medical Assistant II - Irvine (Sand Canyon)
Job posting number: #7115851 (Ref:10019198)
Posted: December 1, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Prepares patients to see physician, facilitates lab tests and other physician orders as needed. Assists the Clinical Director with clinical duties and procedures as directed.
The Medical Coding Educator provides educational and physician support for coding and billing practices. Obtaining, interpreting, analyzing and communicating information regarding physician reimbursement legislation and third party regulations on an on-going basis to clinicians and professional coders. Providing continuing education in coding and billing of specialty services and third party regulations. This role will also act as a liaison between coding personnel and other staff groups—from clinicians to staff responsible for authorizations, billing, and denial management, as well as executive leadership.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Greets patients and escorts them from the waiting room to exam rooms; prepares patients for exam or treatment.
- Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments prior to patient appointment.
- Assists physicians in preparing for examinations and minor procedures.
- Performs basic nursing procedures including thermal applications, non-sterile soaks and applications of simple dressing, perineal care, and urine test.
- Obtains and documents patient vital signs in EMR, including temperature, blood pressure, height/weight, respiration, and pulse.
- Obtains and documents patient’s favorite pharmacy, smoking history, allergies, current medication list and/or reconciles the current medication list.
- Prior to patient appointment assures all reports and other medical information are current in EMR.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable, and therapeutic environment for the patient and their families.
- Pre-certifies surgical and other procedures, if appropriate.
- Answers M.A. phones, takes messages, enters messages in EMR and returns phone calls on same day.
- Schedules tests and off-site procedures when necessary.
- Prepares and maintains supplies and equipment for treatments, including sterilization.
- Disposes of contaminated items according to OSHA guidelines.
- Handles laboratory specimens according to OSHA and CLIA guidelines.
- Transmits patient education when appropriate using preprinted education materials, links, etc.
- Replenishes supplies, stocks, and cleans exam rooms daily.
- Takes medical stock inventory and communicates supply shortage to Clinical Director.
- Maintains company code of conduct and patient confidentiality as regulated by HIPPA.
- Attends annual CPR, OSHA and CLIA training programs as applicable.
- Attends all staff meetings.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program
- Training in specialty specific assisting a plus
- One year experience in primary care clinical assisting
- Experience performing lab test and processing lab and diagnostic study orders
- Current/valid CPR certification.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.